Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Albums of 2007 - #5




















Number 5: Ola Podrida "Ola Podrida"

Playlist, eleven tracks: 1. The New Science, 2. Jordanna, 3. Instead, 4. Cindy, 5. Photo Booth, 6. Run Off The Road, 7. Day At The Beach, 8. Lost And Found, 9. A Clouded View, 10. Pour Me Another, 11. Eastbound

"Firstly; I am not sure if I initially imagined this album to be more appropriate as a soundtrack than any other record I listen to. (As music often become movies to me.) However, as I have learned that David Wingo works as a film composer, perhaps his profession somehow shines through also on this album? Undoubtedly though; these are extremely fine songs, beautiful melodies and histories told with conviction. And if I was forced to choose; track no 6., Run Off The Road would have to be the soundtrack to my 2007."
---
The album was released in the spring of 2007. I have seen little or almost no press about this artist in this corner of the world
(Norway), so if an album ever deserved the term "hidden gem", this must be the one from last year.

Pitchforkmedia - "Ola Podrida"
:
"...variation on the Spanish term
olla podrida, which refers specifically to a stew and generally to any sort of miscellany. Podrida itself means rotten, suggesting a dish made of ingredients unused in previous recipes..." – Stephen M. Deusner, May 4, 2007


http://www.myspace.com/olapodrida

No comments: